It's amazing how technology works for us. For instance, my iPhone automatically adjusted for the time change, and let me know we're over Regina. I don't even know where that is, but I will tomorrow when my WiFi or Bluetooth turn on again. I carry the world in my pocket. My father carried a 20-30 (!) lb. briefcase, stuffed to the brim but all I need, for a similar effect, is a 3x5 (?) phone weighing 12 oz. (?). Again, facts I can verify when we land.
However, I need to adapt to my technology tools! Why didn't I bother to download some YouTube videos, or podcasts? I just assumed they're be there when I needed them! I used to travel with an iPod, which was alway full of audio and video. I failed to adjust. And who knew I would need so many USB connectors! My iPhone 12 and USC-C connectors don't cut it.
And when did airline seats get so narrow? And rigid - no lifting the arm rest to get out or sit closer! We're moving the wrong way, away from fitting people's needs to maximizing the profits. Or is this a way to save energy/the environment? If so, I'll have to adjust!
What I love so much about travel is that it allows me these moments of contemplation. We've been doing road trips these past ten years - I forgot about the discoveries found up in the air!
When we land, we'll be immersed in a world of otherness. Everywhere I turn will be a new sound, an unexpected sight. This trip will jumpstart my creativity for months to come. Just imagine - BUDAPEST!!! I wrote Jane Simon, my father's friend whose husband is from Hungary. Just think, after all these years, I'll be able to connect an understanding to the memories of what I've heard or read. And to think - traveling with my brother and his wife - truly a trip and opportunity of a lifetime. Dianne and I celebrate fifty years together, and we prepare for her 80th year. Life is and has been good. So, a small Cabernet Sauvignon, a large roast beef, and we're on to the next chapter. To life!
By the way, lest you think I've forgotten my mother, just know this - she set the story in motion! She celebrated her 80th birthday with a trip to Turkey - and we went too! Two years later we joined Mom and Dad on a trip to Morocco! And many years ago, following a war that should not have been, she carried her two kids to Berlin, helping her husband rebuild the world, and pave the way for peace.
Enough already! So much I've left undone. So much more to see. Andiamo!
Martha
Sent from my iPhone
No comments:
Post a Comment